Dallas & Collin County RSVP
(9/27/2011) Dallas area Senior Corps volunteers celebrated the 9/11 Day of Remembrance by collecting food, toiletries, and other items for soldiers currently serving in our nation's armed forces. FGP, SCP and RSVP volunteers helped to collect and sort the items, which will be distributed through the USO to troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some of the volunteers were reportedly very excited about getting to work with some "handsome" soldiers. A total of 3,275 items were collected for the benefit of the troops.
Highlights are listed in chronological order.
(12/07/2011) Here are a few of the things that Dallas and Collin County RSVP volunteers have been doing LATELY:
This and much more!!
- Training to be tutors in local elementary schools; followed up by volunteering in local Dallas and Collin County schools tutoring k-3rd grade students.
- Making presentations to groups of Medicare beneficiaries about how to recognize, protect yourself from and report suspected cases of Medicare fraud.
- Learning about how to use social media to increase awareness and safety during natural and weather disasters.
- Delivering food to Meals on Wheels recipients.
- Working in 4 hospitals in the Metroplex as greeters, patient aides, etc.
- Helping prepare meals for families living at the Ronald McDonald House.
- Making and decorating Christmas stockings for babies born on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. The babies are tucked inside the stocking and carried to their parents.
- Working for the week-long Special Olympics event.
(12/19/2011) Dallas & Collin County RSVP just held its first-ever "Parkland Stocking Event" today. It was attended by seniors who have sewn and decorated Christmas stockings that we present to Parkland Hospital. Newborn babies are tucked inside the stockings and delivered to their parents during the holidays. This program has been in existence about 39 years but this is the first time we have gathered the stocking creators and the stockings together to be displayed. Luckily we had a newborn baby, two-week old Jamison Espinoza, friend of an RSVP staff member, who willingly modeled the stockings for us. It was a fun way to show the stocking creators how much we appreciate their handiwork and service.
(01/16/2012) Dallas area Senior Corps staff and volunteers celebrated the 2012 MLK Day of Service by serving breakfast to the families staying at Ronald McDonald House. The 6 am start time came early, but everyone had a great time!
(09/11/2012) Here is a picture from the 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance activity supported by Dallas area Senior Corps programs.
FGP, SCP and RSVP volunteers in Dallas served at a community event sponsored by the Dallas VA called "Walk in the Boots of a Veteran". Senior Corps volunteers helped with parking duty as well as setting up, serving and cleaning up after lunch.
Throughout the days' events veterans shared some of their experiences and challenges as they transitioned back into civilian life. It was a rewarding and humbling experience.